Living Resources Employment Program, one of the first supported employment programs in the Capital District, has been providing employment services for individuals with disabilities since 1985 and transition services since 1997.
We currently serve approximately one hundred individuals in Albany, Schenectady, Rensselaer, and Saratoga Counties.
Employment Program staff help individuals to explore a career path. We like to think that we are not just placing someone in a job—but finding an opportunity in a field where they can grow and develop as an individual in the workforce!
To be successful at your job, it must meet your needs, but continue to challenge your abilities. We have found that in order to find a successful placement a variety of things should be considered:
- Work/Tasks must be meaningful & achievable
- The work place environment & atmosphere must be appropriate and accommodating to the individual’s personal needs
- Supervisor characteristics must be considered—how will this person respond to more than one supervisor, or the attitude of that particular supervisor
- Is the geographic location accessible for the person to get to and from independently?
ON THE JOB:
Our Employment Team at Living Resources will help the individual to be as independent as possible, this includes:
- Understanding the “ins and outs” of the particular job and its specific tasks
- Identifying natural supports in the workplace
- Work on soft-skills (communication, time management, stress, workplace relationships, etc.)
- Travel train the individual in a variety of modes of transportation that are accessible to and from his or her worksite
Our relationship with the individual does not stop once a person finds the right fit. We continue to maintain ongoing support that is individualized to each person’s needs and wants. We also like to maintain communication with our many partnered businesses in the capital region—this is true for when someone is currently working there or even once someone has moved on to find new employment—because there may be another right fit. We will help individuals maintain current employment, and we can assist them in looking into new job opportunities—and this can be done simultaneously.
We offer OPWDD and ACCES-VR services at Living Resources:
- OPWDD’s Employment Training Program
- OPWDD’s Pathway to Employment
- ACCES-VR traditional Supported Employment services and Community Work Experiences and Assessments
Our goal is to provide a positive work experience for both the employee and the employer!
Pioneer Bank is a proud partner of the Living Resources Employment Program. Henry has worked out beautifully and is a perfect fit for our culture! He is such a dedicated, hard-working employee who makes key contributions to the success of our organization each and every day.
Senior Vice President/Chief Customer Support Officer
I feel every business has a position and could benefit from the individuals Living Resources has to offer. -Paul Hicks
Quality Foreign Car Care